Monday, May 16, 2011

Domestic Mondays

We are feeling a little lazy these days due to the tremendous amount of rain we are getting. If it wasn't for those pockets of sunny days we would be going crazy. (um yes, I am well aware that my zipper is down in this photo) I was able to get a few rows of seeds put into the ground and trying to patiently wait to put the rest of the plants in.

Today is Monday and on Mondays I get a little domestic. Today I made homemade fig newtons. I have noticed out of any sugary goodies out there fig newtons make my teeth hurt because of all that sugar. And that's coming from a sugar addict. So I found this great little recipe which has no sugar added. It goes a little like this:

Fig Apricot Bars

Crust:
3 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. baking powder
3/8 tsp. baking soda
1/4 c. ground flax seed
dash of ground nutmeg and clove
1 stick of butter
1/2 c. whole milk
1/2 c. honey
2 eggs

Combine dry ingredients. Cut in butter until tiny pebbles. Mix eggs, milk and honey with a fork add mixture to dry ingredients. Make dough into ball, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Filling:
2 c. dried figs
1/2 c. dried apricots
2 c. juice (your choice)
1 c. water

While dough is chilling, cook figs, apricots, juice and water over low heat until soft and fruit is reconstituted. I think this took about 25 minutes. I had a lot of juice left over and just poured it out. Puree in food processor. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Pull dough out, divide into 2 halves. Knead about 10 times on a floured surface. Roll out to about pie crust thickness. Place bottom half on prepared sheet, spread puree mixture on top and then put second dough half on the top of mixture.


Put in oven and bake 15 - 20 minutes. 15 minutes cooked mine perfectly.


Let cool and cut!! Maggie, my official taste tester approved.


1 comment:

  1. They look so delicious! You are supremely domestic! : ) What a sweet post.

    ReplyDelete