Monday, June 20, 2011

Singer Update

A few posts ago I wrote about how I'm swooning over a Singer Featherweight. Well, ask and ye shall receive!

I spent the weekend up in Elk with my ma and Jim. Just as we were packing up our things to go we started to talk about the sewing machine of my dreams. Jim replies, "My Grandmother's sewing machine is right there, lets see if it is what you're looking for." He pulls the sewing machine out and I just about choke, right there, the machine I've been wanting. Granted it's not a true featherweight, that just implies that it's smaller and more transportable. This is a hardier machine that's part of a table. So we started searching the serial number online and found out that it's from 1931. Jim got out a few tools and a flashlight and started tinkering with it, plugged it in, pushed the knee pedal and she just started running like it was 1931 again. No clanking, no sputtering, no smoke or fire. She hummed. She purred.

So Jim technically couldn't give it to me without asking his mom, Florence, first. We called her up and she was quite happy that the old family Singer would be back in commission! It needs a little cleaning up, some refinish work to the table but lo and behold, I have one. I have a tank of a sewing machine that only runs in straight lines but she'll outrun any of your machines any day.

Now a real lady needs a home to call her own. My "sewing room" aka blue room, aka catch all room, needs some cleaning out and new paint to welcome Mizz Singer home. I've decided on a granny smith apple green with cream trim. Maybe my first project will be some new curtains to replace the mini blinds (puke).

Pictures soon. Thank you Jim and Florence, I'll do your family proud.


4 comments:

  1. That's awesome!! I have been wanting to get a sewing machine for a while now... nothing fancy... since I don't really know how to sew! I'll keep looking at garage sales :) Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, maybe you weren't paying attention in Home Ec Jen!!! Just kidding!! I don't really know how to sew either, I just wing it. I would like to take a class sometime. Spokane offers a lot of sewing classes that we could sign up for sometime!! Can't wait to see you Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. kelsie, did mom give you the apron you made in home ec?? i sent it w/ her when she came to visit, the one with the with the little watermelons? cant wait to see a picture of the new sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Kelsie - you've just added to the legacy of this amazing machine. Jim is thrilled to have it back in action. We both know that it's going to the right person. I'm happy for all of us!
    Love, Elk Mama

    ReplyDelete