Monday, March 14, 2011

So I met someone at the park

Meeting other mommies is a little like trying to go on a date. Last summer I met this really nice lady, Jen, and her daughter, Paloma. She and I seemed alike, our little girls 6 months apart and we lived relatively close to one another. After our kiddos "played" together we needed to go onto our separate ways when the moment of awkwardness arose. It went a little like this:
Jen: "well we need to get home for dinner."
Me: "ok, well it was really nice meeting you."
Jen: "ya, it would be fun to do it again."
Me: "ya that would be fun..."
Jen: "so...do you have a cell number or e-mail address that I could get a hold of you with?"
So on and so on....
Doesn't that seem a little like the awkward moment when you're dating and you really want to hang out again? Who gets who's number? Who should call first? When should you call? See! The two situations are so alike.

Well Jen and I never could find times that would work to get together. But then 6 months later we run into each other.
Jen: "sorry we never hung out! My schedule is way different now so maybe we can get together!"
Me: "oh no big deal... ya, it would be fun to get together."
Jen: "ok, well I have your number."
Me: " ya, give me a call sometime..."
See! Yet another example of how meeting mommies is like meeting guys. This scenario is just like running into some guy that never called.

Just when you thought you were done putting yourself on the line to meet someone you go and have kids and it all starts again.

3 comments:

  1. That is so tough!! when we first moved to spirit lake I met girls and that same thing happened! it's crazy though because after 3 years I ended up becoming very close friends with a couple of the first girls that I met at the park the first time, our schedules just finally worked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right! I never thought of it that way, but it is just like dating... Ha!

    ReplyDelete