Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I feel her coming

The last two mornings have been mighty chilly at the Bakeman house. All windows are wide open at night to let the house breathe from being shut up all day in darkness.

Ask me how much I love to wake up in a chilly room under warm blankets and watch my room glow pink with the sunrise? I love that moment of the day so much. But it's true, fall's a comin'. These chilly mornings tell me so. And even though summer just started I find myself craving fall. Fall means crisp days bathed in sunlight, leaves lining the streets, harvesting the garden, making applesauce and apple cider, and a new wardrobe of warm clothes. Even though this summer has been short, it has been sweet. I haven't complained about the heat once!! My sister would be so proud. No nights where you're dying of the heat and praying for a breeze to come through your window. Yes, I've been just loving this weather. Our down comforter hasn't really left our bed yet, pushed down low as we fall asleep and as the cool night comes the comforter gets tugged up to our chins.

I just got back from a fantastic trip to Missoula with my friend, Sueann. For both of us, this was the first real trip leaving the babes behind. I unfortunately had to go to a class two of those days but in the evenings we took long walks, went out for dinner and took our time eating and appreciating every morsel of it...with a couple glasses of wine and went to a movie. All things you cannot do with a toddler. It was wonderful. I even enjoyed my class on rehabilitating the ACL. It just felt neat to be in a university setting, especially and the University of Montana, I love that campus!! And guess what we didn't do....? Hike to the M! Haha Amy!!!

Right now my car is being torn apart. Since this is the last month that I owe any money on it it decided to break down. In a major way. But not to worry! We just got this great gas guzzler of a car, the Bronco. And how much do I love that car? No really, I love the Bronco! It's rusted out, a manual, has a bumper sticker that says "Hot Poop", sounds really tough and can go anywhere. I love it. But holy moly he is thirsty for gas all. the. time. Hey, at least I have a vehicle while mine is out of commission.

Maggie and I took the Bronco to the mountains last weekend to look for huckleberries. We came back empty handed but boy did we have fun driving those back mountain roads. Maggie was exclaiming, "weee" as we bumped down the road. The best part was that Sueann and Coco were in their jeep driving behind us. This all happened while the men folk rested from the weekend of all baby, no mama. *SMILE* I told Sueann that we need to form the All Women Off Road and Sewing Circle Club. Doesn't that sound awesome?

I started running. I really got into running a few years back and I'm remembering why I loved it so much. The best part is, is that I can run out my door and find my way onto a totally beautiful dirt road where I feel completely safe and will not see a car. I love Palouse! The only bummer is is that I can't run right now. I have pes anserine bursitis. Basically my medial knee hurts every time I run. So I really need to start strengthening my hips and stop running for a while. That sucks, I was really getting into a great running routine.

We've been enjoying the bounty from our garden lately. I have made a few batches of raspberry rhubarb jam, Maggie loves snacking on the peas, zucchini is finding it's way into every meal and we just harvested a few potatoes, just because we had to see how they were doing. Oh my gosh, home grown potatoes taste wonderful!! I almost could have eaten them raw. I can't wait to eat them again. Garlic and onions will be harvested soon, cucumbers are looking like they could be really plentiful if this warm weather keeps up and the carrots are sweet and crunchy. The chickens, aka "the girls" are producing eggs like crazy and even Broody Bitch, that's her real name, has broken herself out of brooding cycle. She feels like it's her job to sit on eggs, not her eggs, all day and night. She's mean, she's cranky and she is super hot so her feathers are all fluffed out. But now her feathers are laying down, she comes bounding out of the coup when I come with food and she doesn't peck the others in the head. But her name still stands.

Well that's our lives in a nutshell. Looking forward to getting firewood soon, making soup, and designing Maggie's Halloween costume. Haha!! I know it's still summer, but I just love fall.

1 comment:

  1. Kelsie! You are so right - fall is the best. The days are getting shorter, the nights cooler and all seems right with the world. Thanks for putting these fall images into words.

    ReplyDelete